What is the best Great Barrier Reef tour from Cairns?
The Great Barrier Reef, located off the coast of Cairns in Queensland, Australia, is a must-see destination for any visitor to the area. There are many tour companies that offer Great Barrier Reef tours from Cairns, and choosing the best one can be overwhelming. To help you make an informed decision, here are some factors to consider when selecting a Great Barrier Reef tour from Cairns:
- Type of tour: There are many types of Great Barrier Reef tours available, including snorkeling tours, diving tours, and glass-bottom boat tours. Decide what type of experience you want to have and choose a tour that aligns with your preferences. i.e. Can you Swim? Are you traveling with small children? These are some questions you should ask yourself.
- Group size: Some tours are designed for large groups, while others are more intimate and cater to small groups or even individuals. Consider the type of experience you want to have and choose a tour with a group size that suits your needs. Highly experienced scuba divers generally want small personalized groups and are pre-pared to pay more for this experience.
- Duration: Great Barrier Reef tours can range in duration from half a day to several days. Consider how much time you have and choose a tour that fits within your schedule. In general, if you really want to see the reef we recommend you spend a full day.
- Inclusions: Different tours offer different inclusions, such as meals, equipment rentals, glass bottom boats, semi-submarines, and transportation. Consider what is included in the tour and choose one that offers the amenities you want.
- Price: Great Barrier Reef tours can vary significantly in price. Determine your budget and choose a tour that fits within your price range.
Ultimately, the best Great Barrier Reef tour from Cairns will depend on your personal preferences and needs. Consider the factors above and do your research to find a tour that is right for you.
What other factors can help you to decide?
What is the best Great Barrier Reef tour from Cairns you may ask? Let us show you the absolute best day tour for snorkeling and scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef from Cairns.
With over 35-day boats operating from both Cairns & Port Douglas. To clarify and help you find which is the best day trip we recommend applying the following three concepts to your search criteria.
DAY DIVING TRIPS FROM CAIRNS:
TUSA Reef Tours provide small group Certified Diving and Snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef. One of newest day trips from Cairns with over 5 hours on the reef, visiting 2 locations. Outstanding Customer Service!
Great day tour for people of all ages. Visit Outer Reef Pontoon at Moore Reef, with lots of inclusions: snorkelling, glass bottom boat and semi-sub tours, underwater observatory and more.
Only Cairns Great Barrier Reef day tour to visit 3 different reef sites in one day! Part of the Quicksilver Cruises fleet. Comfortable, high speed catamaran. Up to 5 hours at the reef.
- Where are you staying, Cairns or Port Douglas?
Answering these questions will help narrow down the many choices available.
- Do you have a decent budget?
We don't mean crazy we mean are you in the position you can really choose any tour and budget is not a problem. It is not about the price it is about the ultimate experience and what you can see on your day trip to the reef.
- You cannot afford much?
You are on a tight budget with not a lot of money to spare and want the best bank for your buck?
Now looking at the questions above and answering them you have a clear idea for example; 1 You are staying in Cairns 2 Yes we have a decent budget.
To get straight to the point, if budget is not a worry and you are looking for that ultimate day tour, you can swim and you are based in Cairns, we recommend Silverswift Dive & Snorkel. Read on to find out why!
Soft and Hard Corals
Nemo and Diver
We are staying in Cairns:
Ok great, this narrows it down to all the boats that depart from Cairns. Ignore and disregard all the boats that depart from Port Douglas. The truth is, there are magnificent diving and snorkeling options from Cairns just like there is from Port Douglas!
Narrowing it down to your location (i.e. Cairns or Port Douglas) will make it easier to choose from fewer boat options.
If you have decided to stay in Cairns let's get into the nitty-gritty!
If budget is not a worry and you are looking for that ultimate day tour, we recommend Silverswift Dive & Snorkel. Why? It is the only boat in Cairns to visit three outer reef sites in one day. When we say outer reef, we mean the outer reef, Flynn, Milne, and Pellowe Reefs! Check out our Cairns dive sites map to get a really good idea!
- Why is this the best Cairns Reef Tour? Well, the boat is a fast modern twin-hull vessel that departs at 8:30 am. Due to the boat characteristics, you are at the outer barrier reef in less than 1.5 hours!
- You spend 1.5 hours at each reef site. You will visit three different reef sites in the one day. (This is the only boat in Cairns to do this) This is more than enough time to snorkel & explore pristine coral reef systems. For divers, you can easily complete a 45 minute certified or introductory first-time scuba dive (One dive at each reef site a total of three dives in the one day). All scuba divers are guided by professional dive instructors.
- Morning, afternoon tea and hot-cold buffet lunch are provided. All snorkel and dive gear is also included.
Do you have a decent budget?
How does this day trip differ from the competitors and what makes it the best?
The competition in Cairns is fierce and to be honest you will have a fantastic day on all the day boat operators. But the one main difference that does set them all apart is the reef permits they operate on. Reef tour operators pay a large portion of the money they earn to the Australian Government to own their tourism reef permit. The permits are located all over the marine park. Some areas are more beautiful than others.
Silverswift Dive and snorkel have reef permits on the outer reef, Flynn, Milne, and Pellowe Reefs!
Generally speaking the further offshore you travel the better the reef quiality gets! Why? the outer reefs are located near the edge of the continental shelf of Australia! Deep clear water from the coral sea flushes up onto the outer fringing reefs creating magnificent healthy reef eco systems.
Day diving from Cairns Video:
The fact that you can dive and snorkel on three separate reef sites in one day is one of the major attractions to choose to visit the reef with Silverswift Dive & Snorkel. This is one of the major contributing factors why we think this is the best Great Barrier Reef tour from Cairns.
If you think about it, the more ground you cover in one day the more opportunity to see things. Because the more time you spend out on the reef the more you can find. As a result, moving around and exploring more areas of the reef increases your chance of seeing more colorful fish, marine life, turtles, large marine animals, and beautiful soft and hard coral systems.
You are on a tight budget with not a lot of money!
This is also fine, many travelers just want the best value-for-money day trip they can find. If this sounds like you then you cannot go past a fantastic company called Reef Experience. These guys visit two outer reef sites in one day, they have permits for Norman, Saxon, and Hastings reefs systems. These dive & snorkel sites offer magical snorkeling and diving experience. The trip also includes 1 x FREE Introductory scuba dive, hot cooked breakfast, and all snorkel gear. Talk about value for money!
See the video below from Reef Experience:
We are staying in Port Douglas:
There are several reef tours available in Port Douglas, so it can be difficult to determine which one is the best. Some factors to consider when choosing a reef tour include the type of tour you want (e.g. snorkeling, diving, glass-bottom boat), the duration of the tour, and the price. It's also a good idea to read reviews from past customers to get an idea of what to expect.
One popular reef tour in Port Douglas is the Quicksilver Outer Barrier Reef Cruise, which takes you to the Agincourt Ribbon Reefs on a high-speed catamaran. The tour includes snorkeling and diving options, as well as a semi-submersible submarine for those who want to see the reef without getting wet. Another popular tour is the Silversonic Dive & Snorkel boat, which visits a variety of outer reef sites and includes snorkeling and diving options, as well as guided snorkel tours with hot-cooked buffet lunch.
Ultimately, the best reef tour for you will depend on your personal preferences and budget. It's a good idea to do some research and compare different tours to find the one that best meets your needs.
If money is no problem the best Great Barrier Reef tour from Cairns is Silverswift Dive & Snorkel. If you are on a budget and looking for the best value for money day tour choose Reef Experience!
If you are staying in Port Douglas than a fantastic outer reef tour is Quicksilver Cruises. If you are on a budget then you could check out either Silversonic Dive & Snorkel or Calypso Dive & Snorkel.
Cairns Dive Adventures has been all outer reef dive and snorkel cruises from both Cairns and Port Douglas in Australia. If you have any further questions get in touch with our dive crazy reservation team by emailing: email@example.com or phone PH: +61740411638
Search for Tours:
Cairns Reef Information
Click the links below to find out more.
FREE UNDERWATER CAMERA HIRE*
Spend over $550.00 AUD on your Great Barrier Reef tour with us and receive the latest Digital Underwater Camera Hire. Take amazing High-Resolution images and 1080 HD Video.
Not available for any tours to the Islands as fine white sand damages the seals on the cameras and makes them leak!
You need to come into our shop located on the Cairns Esplanade the day before departure to pick up the camera before 5:30 pm. You also need to supply your own SD Camera Card and drop the camera off back at our shop before 5:30pm.
Please Remember there is no other way to collect our cameras! All passengers must come into our shop the day before departure day before 5:30 pm.